Applications are open for the 2018 John Monash Scholarships
(applications close on August 1, 2017, 5pm)
“The privilege of education carries great responsibilities – it is given not for individual benefit alone, but to befit persons for the higher duties of citizenship and for roles of leadership in all fields to make Australia great.” General Sir John Monash, 1920.
John Monash Scholarships recognise excellence and leadership, and celebrate one of Australia’s finest leaders: General Sir John Monash. Scholarships are awarded annually to outstanding Australian graduates to support them with post graduate study at the world’s best universities. Successful applicants have demonstrated excellence in their field, leadership potential, and a vision for how they can contribute to a better Australia. The John Monash Scholarships are not limited by age, gender, academic field of study or choice of overseas university.
The first group of John Monash Scholars was selected in 2004, since then the alumni has grown to 147 Scholars and the John Monash Scholarship has become one of Australia’s most important postgraduate scholarship programme. The Foundation and Scholarships are proudly supported by the Australian Government, private sector organisations, universities and individuals.
Why apply for a John Monash Scholarship?
Between 15 and 20 postgraduate Scholarships are available, depending on the quality of the candidates, each valued at AUD $70,000 per year for a maximum of three years (up to AUD $210,000 ).
For the applicants who receive a John Monash Scholarship, the benefits are immediate and enduring. John Monash Scholars achieve national and local recognition through the publicity offered to the Scholarships, and the Foundation and the John Monash Scholars form a professional network which continues to provide support for Scholars throughout their career.
If you have a record of achievement and the desire to play a leadership role for Australia contact us to discuss an application; the Foundation will be delighted to hear from you.
In awarding John Monash Scholarships, factors considered include:
- Excellence in the candidate’s field of study – Usually demonstrated with a university degree obtained with outstanding results, but can also be demonstrated through prizes, awards, publications, performance and exhibitions;
- leadership and citizenship – Candidates should demonstrate leadership experience or potential in the field of study, professional environment and/or the community.
- research project or study program – Specific, well-developed case for support for the candidate’s study at the best overseas university in the field. Applicants will need to justify why this is the right program, at the right point in their career, at the right institution, it is not necessary to have been accepted at the institution;
- proposed career pathway– Candidates must present a credible pathway, addressing an issue the applicant is passionate about, and which will be of benefit to Australia; and
- two references: outlining the applicants abilities and endorsing the proposed course of study.
Kings College London (KCL) is a world-class university based in the heart of London with a wide range of courses. KCL offer an affiliated Scholarship specifically for John Monash Scholars – review the KCL website for more information and contact email@example.com for more information.
Who Can Apply
To be eligible to apply for a John Monash Scholarship you must:
- Be an Australian Citizen;
- Have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate degree from an Australian University, and;
- Be planning to undertake postgraduate study at an overseas university commencing in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
The Scholarships support any postgraduate degree however the Applicant must be able to argue the merits of the chosen course and institution. The Foundation encourages applicants to look beyond the ‘big name’ Universities and explore where dynamic, innovative work is being done in their field.
Commencement of Studies
The Scholarships are granted for the commencement of a study programme in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
Above 2014 Scholar Kathryn Roberts with Prof Peter Darvall AO, Chair of the National Selection Panel
2016 Selection Calendar for the Scholarships:
|May 1 – Aug 1||Applications accepted for the 2017 John Monash Scholarships.|
|Late August||Short listing: expert panels will review applications and recommend for interview by the State and Territory Selection Panels.|
|Skype panel for overseas candidates
Victoria panel 1
NSW panel 1
NSW panel 2
Victoria panel 2
The National Selection Panel will interview candidates on October 16th and 17th 2017. This panel makes recommendations to the Board which will make the final selection of Scholars for 2018.
Winners of a John Monash Scholarship are informed by the CEO of the Foundation a few days after the final interviews, and are publically announced at a ceremony at the Sydney Opera House in November. The Scholarships Presentation Ceremony will be held in Melbourne in the first quarter of the following year.