Applications for the 2019 John Monash Scholarships are now open!
To apply, click here
Applications will close 11.59pm AEST on July 31st 2018
“The privilege of education carries great responsibilities – it is given not for individual benefit alone, but to befit persons for the higher duties of citizenship and for roles of leadership in all fields to make Australia great.” General Sir John Monash, 1920.
John Monash Scholarships recognise excellence and leadership, and celebrate one of Australia’s finest leaders: General Sir John Monash. Scholarships are awarded annually to outstanding Australian graduates to support them with post graduate study at the world’s best universities. Successful applicants have demonstrated excellence in their field, leadership potential, and a vision for how they can contribute to a better Australia. The John Monash Scholarships are not limited by age, gender, academic field of study or choice of overseas university.
The first group of John Monash Scholars was selected in 2004, since then the alumni has grown to 165 Scholars and the John Monash Scholarship has become one of Australia’s most important postgraduate scholarship programme. The Foundation and Scholarships are proudly supported by the Australian Government, private sector organisations, universities and individuals.
Why apply for a John Monash Scholarship?
Between 15 and 20 postgraduate Scholarships are available, depending on the quality of the candidates, each valued at AUD $70,000 per year for a maximum of three years (up to AUD $210,000 ).
For the applicants who receive a John Monash Scholarship, the benefits are immediate and enduring. John Monash Scholars achieve national and local recognition through the publicity offered to the Scholarships, and the Foundation and the John Monash Scholars form a professional network which continues to provide support for Scholars throughout their career.
If you have a record of achievement and the desire to play a leadership role for Australia contact us to discuss an application; the Foundation will be delighted to hear from you.
In awarding John Monash Scholarships, factors considered include:
- Excellence in the candidate’s field of study – Usually a university degree obtained with outstanding results, but can also be demonstrated through prizes, awards, publications, performance and exhibitions;
- leadership and citizenship – Candidates should demonstrate leadership experience or potential in the field of study, professional environment and/or the community.
- research project or study program – Specific, well-developed case for support for the candidate’s study at the best overseas university in their field. It is not necessary to have been accepted at the institution;
- proposed career pathway– Candidates must present a credible pathway, addressing an issue the applicant is passionate about, and which will be of benefit to Australia; and
- a minimum of 2 references: outlining the applicants abilities and endorsing the proposed course of study.
Three world class universities offer partial fee waivers to John Monash Scholars. Kings College London (KCL) is a leading teaching and research university based in the heart of London with a wide range of courses; Cranfield University, UK offers a top MBA program and a range of Masters programs with a strength in defence and engineering; IE University in Madrid has a world-class business school, and offers outstanding Masters programs in law, human sciences and technology and architecture and design, all taught in English. Review their website (or click on the logos below), and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the financial award.
Who Can Apply
To be eligible to apply for a John Monash Scholarship you must:
- Be an Australian Citizen;
- Have completed or be about to complete an degree from an Australian University, and;
- Be planning to undertake postgraduate study at an overseas university commencing in the calendar year following the year of application and selection; it is not necessary to have already been accepted to the institution.
The Scholarships support any postgraduate degree however the Applicant must be able to argue the merits of the chosen course and institution. The Foundation encourages applicants to look beyond the ‘big name’ Universities and explore where dynamic, innovative work is being done in their field.
Commencement of Studies
The Scholarships are granted for the commencement of a study programme in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
Above 2014 Scholar Kathryn Roberts with Prof Peter Darvall AO, Chair of the National Selection Panel
Selection Calendar for the 2019 Scholarships:
|May 1 – Aug 1||Applications accepted for the 2019 John Monash Scholarships.|
|Late August||Short listing: expert panels will review applications and recommend for interview by the State and Territory Selection Panels.|
|Skype panel for overseas candidates
VIC panel 1
NSW panel 1
NSW panel 2
VIC panel 2
The National Selection Panel will interview candidates on the 15th and 16th of October in Melbourne and 18th and 19th of October in Sydney. This panel makes recommendations to the Board which will make the final selection of Scholars for 2019.
Winners of a John Monash Scholarship are informed by the CEO of the Foundation a few days after the final interviews, and are publically announced at a ceremony at the Sydney Opera House in December. The Scholarships Presentation Ceremony will be held in Melbourne in the first quarter of the following year.