Applications are now open for the
2017 John Monash Scholarships
“The privilege of education carries great responsibilities – it is given not for individual benefit alone, but to befit persons for the higher duties of citizenship and for roles of leadership in all fields to make Australia great.” General Sir John Monash, 1920.
The John Monash Scholarships recognise excellence and leadership, and celebrate one of Australia’s finest leaders: General Sir John Monash. Each year the Scholarships are awarded to outstanding Australian graduates to enable them to study for a Masters or Doctoral degree at the world’s best universities. Successful applicants have shown excellence in their field, demonstrated leadership skills, and have a vision for how they can contribute to a better Australia.
In 2004, the first group of John Monash Scholars was selected; since then the alumni has grown to include 127 Scholars and the John Monash Scholarship has become one of Australia’s most important postgraduate scholarship programme. The Foundation and Scholarships are proudly supported by the Australian Government, private sector organisations, universities and individuals.
The Scholarships support any postgraduate degree however the applicant must be able to argue the merits of the chosen course and institution. The John Monash Scholarships are not limited by age, gender, academic field of study or choice of overseas university.
Why apply for a John Monash Scholarship?
Between 10 and 20 postgraduate Scholarships are available, depending on the quality of the candidates, each valued at AUD $65,000 per year for a maximum of three years (up to AUD $195,000 ).
John Monash Scholars immediately achieve national and local recognition through the publicity offered to the Scholarships. Over the longer term, the Scholars are part of a growing community of outstanding Australian leaders aspiring to advance our nation.
The Scholarships have no age or discipline restrictions, and are tailored for modern leadership in a global society.
If you think you have a record of achievement and desire to play a leadership role for Australia contact us to discuss an application. The Foundation will be delighted to hear from you.
In awarding John Monash Scholarships, factors considered include:
- Excellence in the candidate’s field of study – This is usually demonstrated by having completed or be about to complete a university degree or degrees with outstanding results, but can also be demonstrated through prizes, awards, conference presentations, publications, performance and exhibitions (for arts candidates);
- leadership and citizenship – Candidates should demonstrate leadership experience or potential in the field of study, professional environment and/or the community.
- research project or study program – Specific, well-developed case for support for the candidate’s study to be conducted at an overseas university. Applicants will need to justify why this is the right program, at the right point in their career, at the right institution.
- proposed career pathway– Candidates must present a credible and concrete pathway, addressing an issue the applicant is passionate about, and which will be of benefit to Australia; and
- two references: outlining the applicants abilities and endorsing the proposed course of study.
The John Monash Scholarships are available for postgraduate Scholars to attend universities that are considered to be amongst the global leaders in their field of study. Applicants should identify in their applications up to three universities to which they have sought or would seek acceptance.
To consider applying, a candidate and their (two) referees should believe they have demonstrated excellence in their field, together with the ability to lead in the private or public sector.
They must believe that completing a post-graduate qualification at an outstanding institution in another country would give them recognition, skills, and networks that equip them for a leadership role in or for Australia in coming decades.
For the applicants who receive a John Monash Scholarship, the benefits are immediate and enduring. The Foundation and the John Monash Scholars form a professional network which continues to provide support for Scholars throughout their career.
Who Can Apply
To be eligible to apply for a John Monash Scholarship you must:
- Be an Australian Citizen;
- Have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate degree from an Australian University, and;
- Be planning to undertake postgraduate study at an overseas university commencing in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
The Scholarships support any postgraduate degree however the Applicant must be able to argue the merits of the chosen course and institution.
The John Monash Scholarships are not limited by age, gender, or academic field of study.
Commencement of Studies
The Scholarships are granted for the commencement of a study programme in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
Above 2014 Scholar Kathryn Roberts with Prof Peter Darvall AO, Chair of the National Selection Panel
2016 Selection Calendar for the Scholarships:
|May 1 – Aug 1||Applications open for the 2017 John Monash Scholarships.|
|Late August||Short listing: expert panels will review applications and recommend for interview by the State and Territory Selection Panels.|
|Skype panel for overseas candidates
The National Selection Panel will interview candidates from October 15th to 17th 2016. This panel makes recommendations to the Board which will make the final selection of Scholars for 2017.
Winners of a John Monash Scholarship are informed by the CEO of the Foundation a few days after the final interviews, and are publically announced at a ceremony at the Sydney Opera House in November. The Scholarships Presentation Ceremony will be held in Melbourne in the first quarter of the following year.